Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Blessings

What a beautiful warm sunny day here in Virginia! Hugs to you who are across the miles. And HUGE Easter lovin' to my sweet girls who are visiting family in Georgia! I miss you so so so much!

Well, it's been a fairly normal morning for our crew. We have 2 of the boys, Scott is still slightly under the weather and I, well I reprised my role as the Easter bunny, but I'm all out of floppy ears and a fluffy tail.
Easter Dinner was always about the Ham when I was growing up. My mom would slave away in the kitchen and the outcome was always amazing and wonderful. She'd make so many wonderful side dishes and desserts, and we'd all eat until we were stuffed and then the afternoon came and it was time to hunt Easter Eggs! As I got older, the traditions changed and my nephews became the hunters. The eggs always remained the same....the hunted.

It didn't take me long to decide on a menu for this Easter. Ham was definitely on the out list, since we don't eat it anyway. Beef has been a strange staple lately, so I was thinking chicken. A crunchy, zippy texture with a lot of flavor.Herb Crumb Chicken is a show stopper!
3 lbs chicken breasts (this would work for thighs too)
1 egg
splash of milk
crusty bread crumbsyour favorite herbs and seasonings
2 tsp each of these dried and ground herbs: parsley, onion, garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, white, black and red peppercorns, sage, & paprika.
In a shallow bowl, beat egg and milk together.
In another shallow dish, mix together seasonings and bread crumbs.

Dip chicken into egg mixture on both sides. Then, dip chicken into the crumb mixture making sure to coat the chicken really well.

Place in a baking dish and bake at 350 for at least 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. (I used large thick cuts of chicken, so I baked mine for about an hour)
Choose sides that compliment your entree. What's Easter without eggs, right? Well, we're having jazzy Eggs DeVille, Elbow Queso (Homestyle Mac and Cheese), and Steamed Broccoli.

Then, for dessert, All American Cherry Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream and Key Lime Pie.

No comments:

Signature