Sunday, February 6, 2011

I can't take it anymore!! (and Chicken Salvatore)

So I'm on a mission now to give my ugly small kitchen a makeover. A facelift, liposuction, you name it. I can't do much by way of construction, so it's purely cosmetic in this redo. And let me tell you....it's gonna take Maybelline, Loreal, Almay, and Revlon to cover up the ugly in that room.

As I've ranted and raved before, I think a kitchen space needs to be inspiring in order to create meals. I'm really hoping that with some innovation and hard work, my kitchen will finally come to life.

I payed Lowe's a visit today and I have to send a kind word to the sweet paint lady. She knew exactly what I wanted....read my mind when it came to choosing the kind of paint I needed. Thank you Lowe's paint lady...whose name has skipped my mind in the midst of my kitchen redo excitement.

Hopefully at some point this week or next , you'll be able to reap the joy of the ugly kitchen redo, with me, in photos.

(I'm ashamed to post before pictures, right now. But maybe at one point you can see before and after photos.)

Finally in my excited rage, I perused a garden of fabrics at Joanne's. Not crazy about their selection, but I did find a very bold modern print that will work well in our house. Scott said the fabric that is currently in the kitch now reminds him of a rug and it's too dismal, not to mention it won't match my new paint choices. Especially when he is an art connoisseur of a very strange and eclectic mash of pop art.
This is my choice of fabric:
You're probably thinking, why does she need fabric?? Well, as I've said before there is a limited number of cabinets in the kitchen dwelling, so attaching a cute counter "skirt" seems to make sense to hide some of the clutter of the open cabinetry. There is also a door and a window that both require fabric to block out excess light and add privacy from neighbors that have yet to occupy the refashioned condos next door.

So many options are circling around in my head!! I must stop.

It's not easy to cook in a kitchen that's in the midst of a beautification project...so I'm thinking tonight might be dinner out...at some point this week I plan to make chicken and dumplings...they are like nobody's business....they're momma's recipe. Oh yeah.

Until then, I've got a great skillet recipe for a creamy chicken and pasta with veggies mixed right in, so it's a one pot meal. Add a salad and some crusty garlic bread and Enjoy!!

*TIP: This is a great meal to use leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken.

I had a package of thawed chicken thighs in the fridge, I didn't want them to go bad before I had a chance to cook them so I popped them in the crock one day, cooked it, and had it ready to go....perfect for this meal.

Chicken Salvatore
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, well drained
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1 pound cooked chicken
1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli, red pepper, onions and mushrooms, thawed and well drained
2 1/2 cups rigatoni pasta (8 ounces)
Shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired

In a medium Dutch oven, stir together tomatoes, milk, sour cream, salt, pepper and red pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Add garlic, basil, and oregano and Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in chicken and vegetables.

Meanwhile, cook and drain rigatoni as directed on package. Stir rigatoni and vegetables into chicken mixture; cook until hot. Serve with cheese.

No comments:

Signature