Sunday, January 31, 2010

15 Beans and Rice with Corn Muffins

Okay, so I grew up in the south and to a relatively middle class family. My mom stayed at home, my dad worked very hard. We had a modest way of life and there were 3 children to feed. Not being "well-off", I'm sure my mom was conscious of the grocery bill. I remember sometimes just having a pot of beans on the stove and cornbread in the oven.

With all of the freshly fallen snow and my discipline for affordable, healthy, delicious meals, I thought what could be more cost effective and pleasing to everyone's palate than 15 beans and rice on a cold winter's day?


So, I started with a bag of 15 beans and allowed them to soak overnight in 2 quarts of water (or 8 cups).
In the morning I drained them and put them in the crock pot with about 4 cups of water for more flavor I'd recommend chicken stock.

I used several chunks of spiral ham (I had frozen leftovers from New Year's) and added it to flavor the beans. I also added chopped garlic, chopped onions, salt, pepper, 2 bay leaves, and you can add whatever spices your family likes most. You can't really screw it up.

With fragrant jasmine rice cooked to perfection in the rice cooker and the slow cooked goodness of ham and beans, it's a dinner sure to please.

I served them along with our favorite cornbread muffins, butter, and Organic Wildflower Honey.

No comments:

Signature