Sunday, January 30, 2011

One Potato, Two Potato, Three Potato, Four!!

I really need a kitchen redo! My kitchen could probably qualify as one of the ugliest kitchens in America. No. Really. I've been perusing some vintage ideas to add a little pop of excitement in there, but the light bulb hasn't come on yet. Yes, my kitchen is small, and by small I mean, like, I'm cramming my entire culinary art into a shoebox....a kid's shoebox....size infant.

Did you watch Julie and Julia? Me too. Imagine the kitchen that Amy Adams' character cooks in. That's my reality.

Although, the size of my kitchen hasn't hampered my cooking ability, I think a kitchen needs to be inspiring, where creativity can flow! Not just a kitchen with Granite or Corian counter tops or mahogany cabinets. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful, but typically uninspiring. I need a kitchen with character. Yep, that's about the size of it.

It drives me crazy when I hear of people or see the kitchens of friends, clients, etc. who have these innovational kitchens and I hear the words, "I hate cooking!!" As if!! Open your imagination to the possibility that creative food comes from a creative kitchen, not just a pretty one.

Expose all of your senses to culinary passion!! It's delicious!!

Until I make improvements to the kitch', there's nothing wrong with the food.

I made a very simple potato salad to go alongside our barbecue beef sandwiches, pictured here.
I prefer using red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes. They hold up great in my Red Skin-On Potato Salad, and they taste great.

Here's how to make it:
3 pounds of rinsed potatoes, sliced and quartered (no need to peel) I like to exfoliate my potatoes using a good wire veggie scrubber, just to make sure they're clean!!
1 small red onion, finely chopped
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 1/2 cups of mayonnaise
1/3 cup of mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Add red potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. (You don't wanna end up with mashed potato salad) Drain, cool, and Place in a medium bowl.

In a small bowl, stir together onions, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the potatoes, and incorporate together with the eggs. (preparing it this way will keep the potatoes from becoming mushy)

Cover, and chill in the refrigerator approximately 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Signature