Saturday, June 11, 2011

Chili Lime Shrimp

Confession: I have a fear of cooking seafood. I am afraid to buy it. I am afraid to cook it. It freaks me out. Totally. I love to eat seafood. I'm a sucker for Salmon especially with creole seasonings. I love most fish. I eat tuna. Crab is delightful in so many different recipes. But I don't care for crab legs....too much work. Lobster bisque and chowder make me smile. But so help me, I can't bring myself to cook any of it. I am afraid.

On the other hand, when it's as simple as this recipe for Chili Lime Shrimp, I think I might just rethink this fear and make like a bridge and get over it.

While I'm not crazy about eating bottom feeders, this recipe is so easy. It's tasty. It has a limited ingredient list. And it only takes about 15 minutes. Perfect as an appetizer or a light dinner this recipe has a sweet and spicy kick that is irresistible. Enjoy!!

1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 lb uncooked large shrimp (21 to 30 shrimp), peeled with tails left on, deveined
1/4 medium fresh lime

Heat oven to 500°. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray.

In resealable 1-gallon food-storage plastic bag, mix sugar, flour, salt, chili powder, cayenne and garlic. Mix together really well, then add shrimp; seal bag and shake to coat with sugar mixture. Arrange shrimp with sugar mixture in a single layer in pan.

Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Remove from oven. Using metal turner, turn shrimp; squeeze juice from lime over shrimp. Place on serving platter; serve immediately.

No comments:

Signature