Thursday, July 28, 2011

Babies, Things that go Bump in the Night, and Banana Spice Muffins

After spending a beautiful Sunday with our church family in Savannah, we enjoyed a little time at the pool and spent the afternoon in beautiful historic downtown Savannah.

I got to take pictures of my beautiful friend and her adorable family in Forsyth Park, where the trees are soaked with Spanish moss. Kristina is a wonderful mother to two of the cutest little boys in the world. And her husband serves our country in the Army!! It's no wonder that I love her so much, she loves her crock pot too!I was really excited to take pictures of their family and spend a little time with them that afternoon. I think the boys were more interested in their Lightning McQueen and 'Mater cars I gave them, than the camera in their face, but they are two precious little boys and I can't wait to see their family again.

I just love their sweet little faces!
Then, we met up with my favorite lady, who is like a mother to me, for a little walk on River Street to catch up and spend some time together.

The evening brought us to a Ghost Tour I planned for my girls through 6th Sense Savannah. They absolutely love spooks and creaks and I thought it would be fun to share with my friend Shannon and her son Austin.

When I first moved to Savannah, I instantly fell in love with the beautiful homes and the rich history there. The best way to appreciate the beauty of the city is walking, so we met up with our tour guide Nick at Clary's Cafe. A couple of other families vacationing in nearby Hilton Head Island, SC joined our tour group for the evening and Nick began a wonderful historic and haunted view of some of these incredible areas of Savannah. Nick could've stepped straight out of 1924. He was a great storyteller and offered his historic flare on the areas we visited. Fantastic.

If you're ever in Savannah and feel compelled to take a tour, I highly recommend this one! Just don't forget the bug spray and some comfy shoes!!

The next morning, the girls and I grabbed some Java with a dear friend of mine, Diane. She is one special lady to me because she was my very first boss when I first moved to Savannah. She even remembers me before I was ever married, so she's been through many of my life's events. It was great to catch up with her!!

For breakfast each morning in Savannah we had yummy muffins and pastries! Here's a recipe for banana spice muffins that's so easy. Not all muffins are created equally, but these are pretty great! Enjoy!

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine the egg, egg substitute, bananas, applesauce and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with batter. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly touched. Cook for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

No comments:

Signature