Friday, September 16, 2011

Slow Cooker Lasagna

I've been totally absent from the blogosphere taking some time to experiment and have fun with new recipes all while working, back-to-school, and managing the soccer team. So, apologies to any follower who might have missed out on recipes.
By the end of the Day I look like this guy!!


Now that cooler weather has arrived I intend to fire my oven back up, that is, if it will kindly take me back after blatantly ignoring it for the last 4 months.

I've got a lot of new recipes in the works to share! As well as selling the cookbook! PLEASE PURCHASE A COPY. You'll love it! I'm just sure of it!!

Since October is my pumpkin month, I've been on the hunt for new pumpkin recipes and this year will not disappoint. I've got so many that I have a feeling will spill in to November as well.

Since our forecast this weekend is cold and rainy I have a feeling chili or soup is on the menu. Which fills me to the brim with excitement!! It's going to be perfect!

Although, a hearty Slow Cooker Lasagna would also suffice!!

1 pound bulk Italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
3 cans (15 ounces each) Italian-style tomato sauce
2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
1 container (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
15 uncooked lasagna noodles

Cook sausage and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, basil and salt.

Mix 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses. (Refrigerate remaining mozzarella cheese while lasagna cooks.)

Spoon one-fourth of the sausage mixture into 6-quart slow cooker; top with 5 noodles, broken into pieces to fit. Spread with half of the cheese mixture and one-fourth of the sausage mixture. Top with 5 noodles, remaining cheese mixture and one-fourth of the sausage mixture. Top with remaining 5 noodles and remaining sausage mixture.

Cover and cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until noodles are tender.

Sprinkle top of lasagna with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into pieces.

No comments:

Signature