Monday, November 28, 2011

Wassail

Every year I love watching Little Women and I pretend I'm living in Civil War times, then I quickly remember how much I love my indoor plumbing and the internet and I snap out of it.

I just love the part when the March sisters sing "Here we come a Wassailing". Makes me smile just to think about it. It also reminds me to DVR it the next time I see it on one of the movie channels because the only copy I have is on VHS and let's face it does anyone own a VCR?

I bet I could score a deal at the thrift store....on second thought...nah!

Traditionally, wassail is kind of like a mulled cider, usually made of apples. Wassail is kind of an homage to the apple crop. I can't say I'm totally crazy about apple cider, but I do appreciate a citrus one. So here's a "dry mix" version of wassail that can be made as a gift: packed in a cute ziploc bag or airtight glass jar and tie with a bow and a tag with directions.

2 C. Tang
1 ¾ c. sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ground cloves

¼ tsp. ginger
1/3 C. pre
-sweetened lemonade mix

Mix ingredients and place in airtight container.

Directions for mixing: Add 2-3 spoonfuls of dry mix to a mug of hot water. Add more if you like it sweeter!

No comments:

Signature