Thursday, March 29, 2012

Crab Quiche


What a day! What a day!!  After the usual work and errands I came home to a clean house and some jazzy tunes playin' on the turntable.  It was another lovely spring day in Norfolk and the sun was still shining at 7:13pm with a beautiful sunset painting the evening and hanging in the air.  


All week I have been embracing overcoming the fear of cooking seafood so I decided tonight would be no different.  I was feelin' the love for some of my shelly friends from the sea.  I don't so much mind making anything with crab meat...basically because the work is pretty much done for you if you purchase a pound of lump or backfin crab meat.  I don't want to waste my time picking meat from the tiny claws of a crab.  I'd much rather pay someone else to do it.  However, I highly recommend picking it over to be sure no leftover pieces of shell are hiding.  It's just no fun biting into a piece of shell.


Here's how to make an easy crab quiche.  I paired this with my favorite salad.  




1 Pie Crust (use your favorite recipe or use a refrigerated crust for a deep dish pie)
For filling

  • 1 (1-lb) king crab leg, thawed if frozen, or 1/2 lb lump crabmeat, picked over.  I picked backfin crab meat 'cause it was on sale.
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 pint heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 green onion chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning or cajun seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 oz coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese (1/2 cup)
  • 2 oz coarsely grated Swiss cheese (1/2 cup)

Prepare Pie Crust for a single crust pie.

  • Make filling:
  • If using crab leg, hack through shell with a large heavy knife and cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces. Discard shell.  Whisk together eggs, cream, herbs, seafood seasoning, salt, and pepper, and then stir in cheeses and crabmeat.  Pour into prebaked crust and bake until filling puffs and is no longer wobbly in center when quiche is gently shaken, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool in pie plate on rack 15 minutes.

No comments:

Signature