Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Vintage Recipe Cards and Grandma Mildred's Pecan Pie

I think it's a lost art...handwritten recipe cards that is.

When I was a child, my mother kept a shelf of cookbooks in a cabinet in our utility room, I venture to say they are probably still there. I believe one even had a little makeshift filing system. Some of the books were from church groups, some were gifts, some were probably purchased at shops along the way. One of the things I remember most about those books though, were the handwritten recipe cards tucked in between pages.

I don't imagine too many people still have them, (special thanks to the computer) but I just LOVE them. Someone took the time to write out a personal recipe an heirloom dish and give it to someone else. I sigh. Remember the ones that were written on those 3x5 index cards, now aged yellow and torn and spattered with oils and mixes, just like the pages of the cookbooks themselves. (I think there is something wrong with pristine cookbooks...the sign it's never been used, ugh, perish that thought)

Some cards were for special appetizers or main course dishes, holiday goodies, sauces or marmalades. Recipe names like Peanut Butter Blisters, Tuna Touchdown, Zucchini Freezer Jam. Well, whatever the recipe was, it was that someone actually wrote out the wonderful ingredient list and the directions in their distinctive cursive longhand.

I remember when I first moved out on my own, my mom wrote down many of my favorite recipes in a spiral notebook and I am able to share those with my family now! Well, as I strolled through the hobby shop the other day, I found adorable boxes perfect for recipes. And wouldn't you know I found vintage inspired recipe cards! Oh, how my heart fluttered (and not just from the meds I'm on). I picked my favorites and have decided to keep special cards and recipe boxes, for my 2 daughters. As they grow, I will not only hand write their favorite recipes that I make, but they'll be able to prepare their favorite childhood dishes for their families one day.

My step-grandmother, Mildred, may the Lord bless her soul, was such a wonderful person! She had thin whiting hair, thick glasses, always covered her mouth when she laughed, and had some of the best recipes. She loved sweets! She made the BEST brownies and spoiled us in the summertime with her homemade popsicles. And let me just say, she was a hoot and will always be missed. Something I will always remember is how she wrote out her special Pecan Pie recipe and placed in a glass pie plate for brides-to-be for bridal showers. How sweet (literally) is it to receive a years old recipe for your new someone and a dish to bake it in!

Well, here's a treat for you as given to me by Aunt Betty.
Grandma Mildred's Pecan Pie


3 Tbs Flour
3 Eggs
2 Tsp. Vanilla
4 Tbs. Butter
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup white corn syrup
1 Cup Pecans

Mix first 6 ingredients together, then top with Pecans.
Pour in unbaked pie shell, bake. 350 degrees 1 hour!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great post, Nat! My mom did the same thing for us, and so has my grandma. So, we have lots of little notecards with all the old family recipes. It's a great idea, and I have thoroughly enjoyed having them! The girls will definitely appreciate them, when they are older! Thanks for sharing!

Scrapping Julie said...

wow! 5 lbs thats awesome. and to eat some of these super yummy looking dishes and still lose weight!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY by the way! woo the big 30. very kewl. while moving i ran across my great grandmothers recipe box with all of her handwritten recipes. LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

YAY! I love recipe cards, too!! :) I have a recipe card box I bought at a thrift store. My mom has a recipe card for pie crust from my great-grandma. Oh it's gorgeously destroyed from love and time. No kidding, sometimes when I go visit my parents in Indiana, I pull out the recipe card just to look and admire it. It's like art to me, priceless because it came from my great-grandma who I cherished. :) Love this blog entry. Thanks for telling me about it! :)

Signature