Monday, September 27, 2010

If a squash can make you smile.....

All I could think of when I saw this beautiful Butternut Squash was...sing it with me, "Veggie-taales, veggie-taales, veggie-taales, veggietales." Ah, the memories of my children so small with their need to watch these veggie videos over and over and over again. No matter how long it's been, we still love to occasionally sing "Where is my hair brush?" and my personal favorite, "I ain't got a belly button." in the style of a boy band!!

This time of the year, I see so many wonderful varieties of squash, pumpkin, and other gourds. Not only do I love to decorate with these harvest time favorites, but I love the smell of these baking.

Butternut squash is a shapely gourd with a smooth surface and a dull yellowy peach skin. It's typically a winter variety and has a sweet flat flavor and similar texture to a pumpkin. Although there are many ways to prepare it, I love it roasted. But butternuts are also great pureed into soups, casseroles, & breads and they also pair well with apples and poultry.

*Note: Be careful when preparing, sometimes one can come in contact with the skin of a squash and get a rash. Cortisone cream will help.*

Butternut Squash Soup

6 tablespoons chopped onion
4 tablespoons margarine
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.




No comments:

Signature