Thursday, October 14, 2010

Happy October!!!!

Yes, it has finally arrived and yes, it is my favorite month, and Yes, I realize it's already the 14th! But Happy October!!! However, I've been working so hard this month on wonderful delicious pumpkin recipes. It is a month of pumpkin!!!!

Let me tell you just how hard it is to find pumpkin...mid October and I have yet to find it on the shelves at any grocery store locally and I'm not the type of girl to prepare my own pumpkin from a real pumpkin. It's just not my style. So, in my frustration, I ranted and raved on Facebook at just how hard it is to find pumpkin and lo and behold, a friend from Arkansas was kind enough to ship me 11 cans of this harvest time favorite!
I'm sure you can imagine the ideas I have for all of this!!

Aside from the traditional pumpkin pie, pumpkin can make some of the most decadent desserts, but can also be used in soups, stews, and as a base for all kinds of recipes.

Here's a great recipe from BHG for Pumpkin Barley soup with Andouille Sausage.

8 oz. cooked andouille or smoked sausage links, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon snipped fresh sage
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup quick-cooking barley
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar

In a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven cook sausage, onion and sage in hot oil over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring often. Add barley, 4 cups water and bouillon granules. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in pumpkin, maple syrup and vinegar; heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. garnish with apple and more sage.

*I omit the maple syrup.
*Instead of water, you can substitute chicken stock.
*Barley will cook up, be sure you have enough liquid to even out the soup.

No comments:

Signature