Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy 2 days before Halloween

Have your Ghosts, goblins, and witches all come out to play? Whhhhhaaaaaa (insert creepy laugh here) I'm just crazy about this time of the year.

Now that the boys are all teenagers, our two girls are the only ones to trick or treat...this year, they're sportin' matching vampire threads. Oh yeah!! And even Scott is gettin' into the spirit by accompanying them in a traditional cape and fangs :)

Halloween always brings back memories of when I was a kid. I would decorate the porch with cobwebs and spiders. We'd carve the pumpkin on Halloween afternoon and every year, my mom would make a pot of stew, because, after all, we did have to eat REAL food before we could trick or treat. I dressed as a Barbie one year, that was when costumes had the plastic face mask with pin holes for breathing and a tiny elastic strap that went around the back of the head. I'm sure you remember. Then there was the year of the punk rocker, the bride, the witch, the clown. Halloween always meant possibilities. Endless possibilities. And whatever you could make. cheap.

As I became an adult and moved into my first apartment, married, and had children, I would dressed the house in mums, pumpkins and continued my mother's tradition to make a pot of stew on Halloween night. Life changed and with it, came new traditions.

One interesting thing about a blended family is that there are lots of traditions from different families and needs that must be met. For us, that means, on a weekend before Halloween when we have all the kids, we have a Monstrously Spooktacular Movie weekend. This year...that happens this weekend.

Saturday evening, I have prepared a fun menu for the kids. Not, "cute to look at, but not good to eat" food, but fun movie munchies while we enjoy our family time.

No comments:

Signature