Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bacon Breakfast Cookies


Don't be alarmed. I realize that this may seem an unholy combination at first glance, but let me assure you this combination is actually in fact holy. I know, I know, you're probably thinking raisins in cookies? Who eats raisins anymore?

Just kiddin'. I know bacon seems an uncanny choice for a cookie. But Really, when you think about it a sweet cookie with a bit of bacon shouldn't really taste bad. It's like when you eat a waffle and your syrup drowns your bacon by accident, but you really don't want to waste your bacon so you eat it and you like it, because it's actually good with the sweet syrup!!

I consider it a breakfast cookie because it indeed has breakfast in each bite. Egg, butter, bacon, raisins, cereal.....hmmm, and now I'm craving my mom's cooking. These cookies bake beautifully and in fact tasty good.

Your first bite will make you sing and dance as if you were actually in a Broadway show. Not like Cats or anything, but maybe Hairspray.

Try it. I think you might just surprise yourself. A batch of these lasted all of an hour at the office, everyone really loved it.

12 oz. package of bacon
1 stick of softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups of corn flakes (Honey Bunches of Oats cereal would be good here too)
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bacon until crisp, drain well and crumble into pieces. I prefer to bake my bacon and allow the fat to drain off to make it extra crispy.

Beat together butter and sugar till fluffy. This works best if you allow the butter to soften. If your butter isn't soft you'll have coarse crumbs and not a creamy consistency.

Beat in egg. In a small bowl, combine flour and baking soda; stir into butter mixture. Stir in bacon, corn flakes and raisins.

Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Space 2 inches apart. Bake for roughly 15 minutes or until cookies are set and golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes on a cooling rack.

No comments:

Signature