Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Southern Lemon Icebox Pie

I was raised in the south, where the summers are hot and the tea is sweet and you are raised to call others Sugar, Honey, or Darlin'. Friends are Neighbors. Neighbors are friends. And everyone, in fact, dies famous in a small town. There were roughly 73 in my graduating class and we all grew up in the same town and spent every grade from Kindergarten through our Senior year together. On the same playground, sitting on the same brick wall of the junior high next to the old gym, and I think at one time or another we all worked at least one shift at the town grocery store.

Well, "my friend" (only she will understand the quotes) emailed me today for a recipe for an old fashioned Lemon Icebox Pie. She is one of my dearest and best friends of all time and no lie, if I were to call her up today, we'd pick up right where we left off. She is like the Spongebob to my Patrick. The flower to my garden. The bean to my chili. Well, of course I am always glad to hear from her and happy to offer her a recipe! Considering my love of all things lemon in springtime, I had to share this with you as well. A few basic ingredients. No baking required. Perfect for a springtime get together.

1 graham cracker crust (9 inch works best)
2 packages reduced fat cream cheese, softened (8 ounce blocks)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (you can use fat free here)
Juice of 2 lemons
Zest of 1 lemon
Mint Leaves (optional)

In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until whipped (about 2 minutes).

Add condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix until creamy.

Pour mixture into crust. Refrigerate about 2-3 hours before serving to allow pie to set and firm. Serve with freshly whipped cream. Garnish with mint leaves if desired.

No comments:

Signature