Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gravy

I tend to think there is something wrong with the person who doesn't eat gravy on at least one thing. Like mashed potatoes, meat, rice, I could go on and on here. I like it. And if you're reading this, you probably like it too. I must confess I don't own a gravy boat. Probably because I just scoop it right out of the saucepan when it's time to serve dinner. Even if you don't admit it to me. I know you do the same thing. Well, I made a roast in the crock this weekend with tons of onions, celery, and carrots, and the roast ended up so tender and juicy. I didn't cook potatoes in the crock, I just boiled and mashed them. And I knew we'd never eat all of those veggies, so I decided to use them in the gravy.

But, wouldn't that make the gravy full of veggies? Who does that? That's not really gravy. Well, those veggies are full of flavor and nutrients and I certainly do not want them to go to waste.

Here's a great way to make a thick flavorful gravy and a chance to break out the blender for something other than a smoothie.

After removing your meat and veggies (that your family will eat) from the crock, skim the fat from the juice, then ladle the juice into the canister of your blender along with your veggies, and add 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of flour. Set it to puree or give it a fine chop so those veggies get blended into the juice. This is when I usually break out a saucepan, and heat up the gravy to let that flour incorporate the gravy to thicken it, stir it occasionally until it's the thickness your heart so desires and smother your dish, or if you own a gravy boat, this would be the time to fill it up!

*Tip: Putting the flour in the canister as you blend will help prevent lumpy gravy.

No comments:

Signature