Well, today just happens to be Connor's birthday. 13, yes all 3 boys are now teenagers. So, what kind of cake does a 13 year old want? His response, "You're not going to have a store bought cake are you?" Well, what kind DO you want? "A homemade fudgy chocolate one with chocolate chips in it. Oh, and coconut".
Well, since I'm in a heap of trouble with our 3rd teenage boy, I suppose the name says it all. It's a touch more time consuming than just an average cake, but I figure hey it's for a great kid who is very close to my heart. And I am delighted since he asked me to make him a homemade cake, but that has nothing on the delight he'll be filled with, when he eats a slice of this decadent chocolate cake topped with a chocolate cream cheese frosting and coconut!
Heap of Trouble Chocolate Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package triple chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 sm package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour your pan. (I used 3 disposable small cake pans to make a 3 layer cake.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, milk, applesauce, water and eggs. Beat for 4 minutes pour in your cake pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over cake. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when you touch it.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 C butter (1/2 stick) at room temperature
- 3 C sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in cocoa powder.
- Mix in powdered sugar, one cup at a time.