Saturday, February 6, 2010

Death by Chocolate Gravy & Biscuits

I was about 7 years old and I couldn't wait to go to my best friend Bamanda's house, I affectionately nicknamed her. It was a Friday night sleepover, and one of the best parts of going to her house was that I knew on Saturday morning her mom would wake up and make Chocolate Gravy and Biscuits. Oh my word! How exciting! Delicious thick smooth chocolate smothering buttery biscuits. It was such a special treat.

A bit of an ironic topping for biscuits I admit, but if you've never had the pleasure, then you're truly missing out on some magic!

Well, of course I had no recipe to use, so my friend Davida who now lives in Colorado was so sweet to share her recipe with me! It's amazing!

1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp cocoa
Dash of salt
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp vanilla (optional)

This is how I did it!
In a skillet, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt. Turn heat on med/low and then slowly add milk to mix it all together. Be careful not to get the temperature too high. It can burn easily. Add butter and vanilla and continue to add milk until the right consistency is reached.
Per Davida: (And I followed her advice) "I make my tablespoons of flour heaping and the cocoa level just to be sure it gets thick enough (but don't get it too thick). You can add a little more milk to make it go farther, but just using the one cup gives you a really chocolaty taste."

Eventhough the vanilla is optional, I found that adding the vanilla helps to cut the sweetness of the chocolate so it has a nice mellow flavor. It was a very delightful Saturday morning in our house and I look forward to making this velvety chocolate again! I got all thumbs up from my kids! So I must give a very special thank you to Davida!

No comments:

Signature