Monday, December 6, 2010

Fa la la la la & Magic Sauce


I just can't get enough of this holiday spirit. I sit at my desk all morning and listen to carols from our 24/7 Christmas station and can't help but sing along. A dear teacher of mine from high school gave me this adorable caroler years ago and I absolutely adore it. She said it was because I was always singing and truth be told, I was.

This sweet little caroler has been a part of my Christmas decor for many years now and I will always cherish her and even more, the teacher who influenced me in so many ways.

I reflected on all of this tonight over my pasta dinner....so I thought I'd share this incredibly MAGIC sauce with you! It's so simple and you won't even believe how good it is. Something so easy shouldn't taste this good, but in fact it's a little dance of fa la la's on your tongue!!

The secret to this magic sauce is BUTTER. Real butter. I could probably eat the entire pot of sauce alone. The tomatoes have such a fresh flavor and the butter makes them so velvety smooth.

1 Can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved
Salt to taste

Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan (it fit just right in a 3-quart) over medium heat. Then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a steady simmer for about 45 minutes. Which allows the tomatoes to break down slowly. The onion will stew slowly and add its flavor to the tomatoes. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste.


Serve with your favorite pasta!! I add cheese, because I really love cheese, although, this sauce alone is amazing and doesn't really need anything to dress it up.

No comments:

Signature