Friday, August 19, 2011

Apple Butter

Well, this week was a doozy! I have never been so happy to see a Friday in all my life. I've been dreaming of a desk that flushes itself. Yep. That bad.

I'll tell you what made my day, though!! My awesome boss laughingly said, "I was waiting to see if you brought something to eat before I went to get something."

Could that be because I brought a basket full of hot fresh biscuits this week with jars of homemade Apple Butter and Strawberry Jam? Possibly. I do like to treat the office to fresh home baked yummy treats. This week was no exception.

Apple butter is a sweet jam like treat that's delicious on toast and hot fresh biscuits. It's also great mixed into maple and brown sugar oatmeal.

I decided to make a small batch this week. This recipe makes about 2 cups. Start with about 3 pounds of your favorite baking apples. I prefer Gravenstein and Granny Smith for apple butter.
Peel and chop. Add to slow cooker. (I prefer to peel mine so as not to use a mill or sieve later on.)

Add 1/2 Tablespoon of Vanilla Extract. (This gives it a nice mellow flavor. It's my secret ingredient.) Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Cook on low heat for 8 hours.

I prefer an "almost-but-not-totally-smooth" apple butter. If you like yours smooth, you can use an immersion blender. I just mash mine with a fork. It makes it perfectly voluptuous.

Transfer mashed apples to a sauce pan and add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of white sugar. Stir well and bring to a low simmer for about 10 minutes. Adjust sugar based on your personal taste.

Transfer to jar and refrigerate. It's best if eaten after it has time to chill and the flavors develop.

No comments:

Signature