Thursday, August 4, 2011

Basil Tomato Pasta

With temps in the 90s and triple digits across much of the country it's hard to feel like cooking and going to any trouble in the kitchen. I know I'm not one to enjoy slaving over a hot stove, if I am slaving, it means it's not any fun for me and if I'm grouchy, no one will be happy and then I'll realize I should've ordered pizza. And then dinner won't taste good and I'll be kickin' myself all evening and wishing I had paid the $2 delivery fee AND a tip just so that I wouldn't have had to cook in the heat and make me and everyone else miserable in the mean time.

However, I love when dinner can be as simple as dressing up a 10 minute pasta with simple tomatoes and fresh basil. Delicious.

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 can (14.5 oz) organic plain or fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
4 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
8 oz uncooked angel hair pasta
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

In 10-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper flakes; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender. Add tomatoes, butter, garlic and salt. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on package. Drain; place in serving bowl. Pour tomato mixture over pasta; toss gently to coat. Add basil, cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon oil; toss.

No comments:

Signature