Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Natural Disasters


Know what we went through last week? An EARTHQUAKE AND A HURRICANE! Both of 'em. In the same week. And I never want to go through either one again. Just sayin'.

Our cat, Taco, really wasn't sure what to think.
So, the Earthquake was a once-in-a-century sort of thing. I'm hoping, anyway. It absolutely freaked me outtttt. Being on the 8th floor of a large building does not make the quakey feeling any more pleasant mind you. It was very calm as it happened. I guess I always expected earthquakes to be more rattly and rumbly. But this was just a very weird silent swaying feeling, where I just knew the building was going to fall over a lot like a Jenga game would when you pull too many blocks out from underneath. Not pleasant for the equilibrium or my stomach for that matter. Nausea settled in and said hello all afternoon. Yuck!

As if that weren't enough, we survived with not even a scratch from Hurricane Irene, although several friends and neighbors did have downed trees, flooding and no power, but all of the prayers and wishes from friends from here to California kept us safe and sound.

Since we were cooped up inside, there was plenty of time for family activities. We spent most of our time watching movies and playing games.I had stocked up on tons of pantry items, you know, things that have a shelf life of 10 years and that we wouldn't eat pretty much ever.


We did make s'mores!

Thankfully we didn't have to go without power, which meant we actually were able to prepare food. I made some herbed chicken with a potato casserole, delicious!

At the end of the day 2 snuggly sisters loved camping out in the living room!

My friend Linda, who is a fantastic cook, gave me this idea for a Caprese Sandwich. Which is basically slices of silky mozzarella cheese, thick cuts of vine ripened tomatoes, and fresh basil. You can add bacon for a bit of smokiness and crunch. And then, the best part, is slapping it together in tons of butter and making it the same way you would a grilled cheese. You've got to try it. Thanks Linda for a superb idea!!


No comments:

Signature