Saturday, October 8, 2011

Apple Nachos

I remember as a kid, every year, I would beg my mom to make caramel apples for Halloween. For me the holiday isn't complete without one of these confections on a stick. I've even seen some of the cutest ones wrapped in caramel and coated with sprinkles or even candy corns, which would make a great teacher gift for Halloween.
Some of my favorite memories with my girls are watching the Halloweentown movies every year....which happen to be marathon viewing on Disney channel this week. How I love Debbie Reynolds as the witty grandmother. What could be better than spooky movies and a plate of apple nachos?? This would also make a great after school snack.
Thin slices of crisp tart apples flecked with chocolate chips, pecans, and drizzled with creamy melted caramel and marshmallow. This recipe makes about 12 servings. Enjoy!
18 caramels
1/2 tablespoon water
15 large marshmallows
3 Tablespoons butter
2 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
3 Tablespoons pecan pieces
3 Tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon Halloween sprinkles
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt caramels with water; stir until smooth.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt marshmallows and butter. Arrange apple slices on a large platter. Drizzle with caramel; top with marshmallow mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts, chocolate chips and sprinkles. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Signature