Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pumpkin Season



I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the prices for pumpkins this season at my local market. $2.99 each for a giganterrific pumpkin. What a steal!! Due to the amount of rain we've had in recent months, the local crop has been abundant with these orange beauties, making them extra affordable. On my walk around a neighborhood today, houses were dressed with two or three of these babies with a blanket of mums covering porch steps. Fall at it's best!

Bless my soul, I love pumpkin season.

I thought I'd share a delicious pumpkin ice cream. Taking help from already prepared vanilla ice cream, it's got the perfect pumpkin flavor with the richness and creaminess that you'd expect, but laced with cookies for a bit of added crunch. It's a must try!!

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened (You can use homemade vanilla or storebought)
36 vanilla wafers or gingersnaps

In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix until well blended. Stir in pecans. Fold in ice cream.

Line a 9x13 inch dish or sealable plastic container with 18 cookies. Spread half the ice cream mixture over the cookies. Repeat layers. Freeze until firm.

No comments:

Signature