Tuesday, May 10, 2011

BLT Pasta Salad

Fresh tomatoes just SCREAM summertime!!! I can hardly wait to eat vine ripened fresh tomatoes. I'm still having to pick them up at the market. Heartbreaking really. I love the smell of a sun kissed tomato.
If anyone could grow a tomato, it was my grandma and grandpa....on my mom's side. THE best grandparents too, by the way. As a little girl, I remember getting to help them pick a few tomatoes, you know, when they were ripe. Although, I do remember getting carried away and picking some green ones. I don't recall getting in trouble though. Must've been my cuteness. :) On a side note, I can't recall "helping" pick tomatoes again, after that.

I spent many of my teenage summers visiting western Kentucky, sitting at a newspaper covered dining room table, shelling peas into a bucket, while my grandma stewed tomatoes for her homemade spaghetti sauce and perfected the canning process. Ah, the days of drinking out of a waterhose, hanging laundry in the sun, and watching lightening bugs.

My mom can make a mean BLT and I grew up eating those pretty regularly. Some toasty bread, plenty of mayo, crispy bacon, a fresh from the garden tomato, and crisp lettuce....I'm all nostalgic. (Although, I don't recall my parent's having a vegetable garden. It was more like a tomato patch in the yard....and it was delicious.)

Well, a BLT pasta salad is the next great thing. Take all of those great flavors and mixing them into a spicy mayo. Yum!!

8 oz. pasta (shells, rotini, or macaroni work best) cooked and drained
8-10 slices of crispy cooked bacon, crumbled
1 cup mayo (I like Duke's Mayo the best.)
1/3 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp instant chicken bouillon
2 tsp sugar
1 tomato seeded, chopped
1/4 cup sliced green onions
2 cups lettuce shredded

In a large bowl, combine mayo, chili sauce, lemon juice, bouillon and sugar. Stir in cooked pasta, tomato and onions. Cover and chill. Just before serving, stir in lettuce and bacon.

No comments:

Signature