Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cinco De Mayo oh My oh.....Creamy Chicken Enchiladas



It doesn't take much for me to get excited about a party!! Cinco de Mayo is no exception. I am certainly not Mexican Pueblan, but I sure do love to celebrate. Heck, I celebrate when I wake up and can fit in my jeans.

Mexican food is one of my all time favorites! Once in that smallish town in the middle of podunk Georgia, there was a little Mexican restaurant in a dinky CVS shopping center-strip mall of a thing. I forget the name. They had a buffet for lunch. Be still my heart. A Mexican buffet. All the cheese dip you can eat. Tamales, Enchiladas, a taco bar, you get where this leads. My jeans probably won't fit now, just from the memories.

Every year, on the anniversary of their opening, they would hire this authentic Mariachi band. Oh, boy! It was the most fun at a dinky small Georgia Mexican restaurant you could possibly have!!! We looked forward to it every year. The place was packed to the ceiling tiles with Corona drinking patrons and in true Mexican restaurant style you'd get a refill of chips and salsa every 4 minutes with impeccable service and delicious food.

The Mariachi would come table to table and take requests. Lemmetellya, they were decked out in their sombreros and gold trimmed black suits, just like rhinestone cowboys. They didn't speak much English, but they sure could sing it well. They sang a lot of oldies, country songs, and rocked out at our table to the Beatles classic Yellow Submarine. I'll never forget it.
I'll probably listen to some Beatles tunes as I make a Cindo De Mayo feast!

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are on the menu with a fresh garden salsa and an avocado salad!! Can't wait!! Happy Cindo De Mayo everyone!!


3 chicken breasts cooked and cut into bite size pieces
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can diced tomatoes and chilis (slightly drained)
2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican blend) reserve 1/2 cup
1 10 oz. can enchilada sauce or homemade sauce
Fresh cilantro, optional







In a large bowl, mix together chicken, soups, tomatoes, and cheese. Spread mixture in tortillas, roll and place seam side down in baking dish. Top evenly with enchilada sauce. Sprinkle top with reserved cheese.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Garnish with Fresh Cilantro if desired.

No comments:

Signature