Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sweet Lemon Cupcakes

Mother's Day is right around the corner. You know what that means? You've gotta do something nice for your momma! I can not reveal the gift that my mother will receive in the off chance she might read this blog, so this is one time my lips are sealed.

What are some of your favorite memories of Mother's Day?

There are countless paintings, drawings, and homemade gifts I have collected over the last several years. I remember my first Mother's Day quite well. Isabella was 12 days old. (Yes, that's right. She just celebrated a birthday.)

It also happened to be the first time we took her to church. I dressed her to the nine's in a beautiful yellow dress with a huge white satin hairbow on a headband with pristine frilly lace socks and tiny satin shoes, not that her little baby feet could even wear them. My mom had made a yellow blanket to match the dress trimmed in eyelet lace. Yellow Overload. She. Was. Adorable.

Here's a great Sweet Lemon Cupcake recipe perfect for little hands to help mix. Share the happiness of Motherhood with some of the mothers in your life.

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sour cream

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add zest and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups with 1/4 cup of batter. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Now for the Frosting, I chose my basic cream cheese frosting and topped these babies with coconut. Although a lemon buttercream would be delicious on these as well.

No comments:

Signature