Monday, May 23, 2011

Slaw

On a special occasion, as a kid, we'd sometimes swing by KFC on the way home from church. It meant, mom didn't have to cook. But it also meant Coleslaw. It was the only kind I would eat. For years, I thought the only sides KFC had were mashed potatoes & gravy and....coleslaw. I realized when I was around 20 years old, that KFC in fact had other sides to offer. Blew my mind. Unbelievable.

Not that I ever eat there because KFC is one of the worst offenders of homicide by MSG in the country, but I still love coleslaw.

I made a heaping happy bunch of it tonight alongside some Saucy Crock Ribs. I've come to realize I prefer my coleslaw a little more on the sweet side.

Start with a bag of pre shredded green and red cabbage with carrots.

1 1/2 cup real mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip) I prefer Duke's
3 Tbl white sugar
1 1/2 Tbl vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbl milk (optional, for thinning)

In a bowl whisk all ingredients together; taste, add more salt if needed.

Either use right away on your coleslaw or store, covered, in the refrigerator; keeps well for several days.

No comments:

Signature