Wednesday, May 11, 2011

WAFFLES

I am a huge fan of the waffle. There are about a hundred different recipes in my personal collection. I could write an entire cookbook about waffles alone.

My mouth waters at the though of a steamy hot waffle fresh from the iron, dripping with golden buttery goodness and gooey sweet maple syrup filling every deep pocket. It's a glorious combination.Whenever friends or family would come visit for the weekend, I'd spend hours preparing the house for their arrival, because I always want someone to feel as comfortable as possible when sleeping away from home.

I'd prep a basket full of toiletries, rolled towels, and I even made a tv guide list of channels for midnight browsing. Pretty much anything you'd find in a luxury hotel, you'd find in my guest room. I'd also include a menu for the weekend...you know, so they knew what to expect. Fresh linens on a turned down bed would greet them happily.

For breakfast, I'd make a huge batch of these delectable beauties their first morning there. It was a treat for everyone and we had many repeat visitors. I'm quick to assume it was the waffles although hugs and kisses from the kids weren't bad either.

I realize now that I had a lot of time on my hands. Nowadays, although you'd still be privy to a home cooked meal, you might have to prop a plate on your lap and you'd be lucky to get an air mattress. Just kiddin'.

Here's a waffle recipe that's so delicious. The addition of yogurt makes these velvety and the granola adds perfect crunch.

Natasha's Granola Waffles

1 1/2 cups Bisquick
2 eggs
1/2 cup granola cereal
1 container (6 oz) vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Heat waffle iron; spray with cooking spray before heating.

In medium bowl, stir all waffle ingredients until blended. Pour batter by 2/3 cupfuls onto center of hot waffle iron; close lid.

Bake 2 to 3 minutes or until steaming stops and waffle is golden brown. Carefully remove waffle. Serve hot with syrup.

1 comment:

Scrapping Julie said...

these sound delish. will have to try them soon. i just got a waffle iron last week!

Signature